The season of Advent still feels very new for me and every year I press into this time of waiting for our Savior’s birth a little more deeply…
This week I was drawn to this marvelous painting by Edward Burne-Jones called The Golden Stairs. I’m not exactly sure why but I hope you will linger with me as together we enjoy the details.
At first glance:
- I see a group of young women processing down a spiral staircase…
- because of the opening to the sky and the symbolic presence of doves,
- my mind quickly connects to the idea of angels descending this golden staircase from heaven.
The mood of peace:
- Graceful and flowing almost soundlessly down the stairs.
- Their classic garments outline the beauty of their bodies as the continue towards their goal in relaxed unity.
- White, silver, gold tones are individually struck and harmonized in variation.
- To open a window…a portal into the divine.
- To bring us glad tidings of comfort and joy.
- To play for us and to reveal the heavenly music of the spheres.
May God grant us this holy vision and fill our hearts with His music once more.
“Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, ‘Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.’” ~ Luke 2: 13-14